How to get a residence permit in Germany – interview with Tia Robinson, co-founder of Expath
This episode is an interview with Tia Robinson, co-founder of Expath to discuss everything you need to know about accessing a visa or a residence permit for Germany. As I am an EU citizen and never had to go through this process, Tia joins me to share her experience not only as a US citizen, but also as the co-founder of Expath, a relocation and language course company based in Berlin.
Here are the topics:
- What’s the difference between a visa and a residence permit?
- What are the requirements to obtain a residence permit in Germany?
- What are the different kinds of residence permit in Germany?
- How long does it take to get a residence permit in Germany?
- Tia’s tips to prepare for the worst-case scenario of not getting your residence permit on time to start working
- Should the entire family move together or is it better for one parent / spouse to move first and the rest of the family reunifies afterwards?
- What should freelancers have in mind when applying for a residence permit?
- What kind of savings should you plan to have to obtain a residence permit as a freelancer?
- How can Expath help future immigrants to Germany and when should you get in touch with them to prepare your application?
Listen on your favorite platform
About Baby in Berlin
Baby in Berlin is a concierge service for expecting international families in Germany who need assistance with the organization of their pregnancy and the paperwork related to baby and birth. I have helped hundreds of families organizing their life as a family in Berlin and all over Germany. Follow me on social media for more tips and resources!